Oral Cancer Screenings for a long life of healthy, cancer-free smiles!
An oral cancer screening is an examination your dentist can perform during a routine dental visit to detect signs of gum cancer, throat cancer, or other types of cancer in your mouth. During an oral cancer screening, Dr. Shruti Jadeja from White Sage Dentistry, Salem, Oregon, will examine your gums, lips, cheeks, tongue, tonsils, and the floor and roof of your mouth to detect abnormalities that could be signs of oral cancer. When caught early enough, oral cancer can be treated.
Oral Cancer Causes
A mutation of DNA cells in your mouth causes oral cancer. Why these cells mutate is unknown, but certain factors increase your risk of developing this disease. These factors include excessive tobacco use, heavy drinking, overexposure to the sun, and a weak immune system caused by poor nutrition.
Mouth Cancer Treatment
There are various options for mouth cancer treatment depending on the location of the cancer, its severity, your overall health, and personal preference. These options include radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery.
Key Facts You Should Know about Oral Cancer and Oral Cancer Screenings
The following facts provide greater insight into oral cancer and the importance of oral cancer screenings.
- Oral cancer is very common, and statistics show that this disease is on the rise
- If you smoke or use tobacco products regularly or drink heavily, you’re at greater risk of getting oral cancer
- Oral cancer can develop anywhere in your mouth, including your lips, tongue, roof or floor of your mouth, gums, cheeks, salivary glands, throat, and even behind your wisdom teeth
- Oral cancer screenings can be done quickly and painlessly at your dentist’s office to detect early warning signs of this disease
- The only way to confirm that you have oral cancer is to have a biopsy done. A biopsy is when your dentist removes abnormal cells from your mouth or throat and sends them to a lab for testing
- Oral cancer screenings help detect oral cancer in its early stages when it’s more treatable
To schedule an oral cancer screening at White Sage Dentistry in Salem, OR, contact Dr. Shruti Jadeja at (503) 877-1626.